Smile

Jun 18, 2016

Prawns curry... semi dry style

A spicy and delicious prawn curry to go good with steaming hot white rice. I dont eat prawns but my family does. This is one reason that I seldom make prawn curry at home. Last time during a visit to my mo's house a friend of ours offered us a bowl loaded with prawns curry. I initially said no especially due to the reason it was a big bowl and there were not many people to finish it off... just my dad and my two little kids. Upon her insisting to take it and seeing her love I could refuse taking it

My younger one likes prawns but the elder one  simple denies if not forced. But this day when I offered him some gravy and asked him to try, he winked with a cute little smile saying he loves it. Both of them enjoyed it a lot. Now that is good for me

The kids wanted me to get the recipe from my friend and try it at home. A very simple no-fail recipe that I tried and came out awesome. Thanks to Dayana... my very good friend for this wonderful recipe :)


Serves... 4 ppl
Serve option... Hot with rice

This is what u'll need....

Prawns - 10
Onion - 2 medium
Tomato - 1 big
Curry Leaves - few
Garlic cloves - 4 big
Ginger paste - 1 tspn
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn
Sambar powder - 1 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Marinate prawns with a little turmeric, red chilli powder and salt 
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan
  • Slice onions lengthwise thinly and then cut across to half its length
  • Put curry leaves. Be generous... it tastes awesome in the curry
  • Add salt to the onions and stir around
  • Chop garlic into small pieces and toss it into the pan
  • Spoon in ginger paste
  • Add some turmeric powder. Fry everything for a few minutes till the raw smell of ginger and garlic fades away and onions are soft
  • Chop tomatoes finely and add it to the pan
  • Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame till tomatoes turn soft
  • Add prawns to it
  • Spoon in sambar powder as needed.  I used 1 tspn plus little more
  • Mix everything well and cook covered on low-medium flame for another 6-7 minutes or till prawns look cooked
  • No need to add water as it becomes watery when cooking covered
  • Once done transfer it to a serving bowl 
  • Serve hot with rice and enjoy


                                            Note:
                                            • Dont overcook prawns as they tend to get rubbery and chewy
                                            • Adjust spices to suit your taste
                                            • Add chilli powder if you want more spicy

                                            No comments:

                                            Post a Comment

                                            Related Posts with Thumbnails