Smile

Jun 29, 2016

Masala papad


Masala papad is a very simple snack/appetizer which has caught me up over these couple of years or probably a little more. I first had this is at a restaurant. I know it is a very simple dish but the fact is that I have never had this before. When I first had this my eyes opened up wide showing my pure liking for this. Whenever I get a chance I order it. But then its simplicity struck me down

I wanted to eat a lot of it and the best option was to make it myself. Just make your papads and top it up with finely chopped onions and tomatoes and little spice

From the day I made it at home, I have had my fill always with no excuse to go to a restaurant to just get a bite of this. How come I never knew of this appetizer before :)




Serves... 1-2 ppl (3 mini papads)
Serve option... Room Temperature

This is what u'll need....

Papad - 3
Chooped Onion - 2 tbspn
Chopped Tomato - 2 tbspn
Chopped Coriander leaves - little
Chopped Green chilly - 1/4 tspn
Pepper to taste
Chaat masala - 1/4 tspn (optional)
Lemon juice - few drops
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....

  • Fry the papads in oil or make them in the microwave.  We usually microwave the papads as its quick and needs no oil :) Keep them ready in an airtight container till ready to be served. I use pepper flavored small size papads, you can use plain too if you want. Small sized papads are easy to handle  and look cute too :)
  • If using pepper-flavored papads, skip adding fresh ground pepper to the topping or else just add a little
  • Make sure you finely chop onion. Green chilly and coriander leaves needs to be chopped very finely to get the flavours distributed evenly
  • Cut the tomato into halves and scoop out the pulp. We are not gonna use the pulp, so you could use it to make something else. Finely chop the cover into very small pieces
  • Toss the onion, coriander, green chilly and tomato into a working bowl. 



  • Sprinkle salt, pepper and chaat masala. Chaat masala is purely optional here. I like its flavor so am always in for it


  • Add a few drops of lemon juice to the bowl, i mean really a few drops and not more. Toss everything around in the bowl till the spices are blended well with the veggies
  • Pour this in a colander and let it sit in it till serving time. This will keep the liquid being drained out all the time and leave the mixture dry. We dont want water in the mixture as it will turn the papads soggy
  • When serving, pull out some papads and arrange them on a plate
  • Top the papads with a thin layer of the above mixture and serve it immediately
  • Enjoy your spicy masala papad on a cozy evening. Tastes perfect on rainy days 

Note:
  • Dont keep the toppings too long on the papad as they will turn the papad soggy
  • Top the papad just before serving
  • Cut down on green chilly if serving kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails