Smile

Dec 2, 2013

Sugar chapathi... a little bribe to my fussy little eaters...


At ages of 5 and 3 I see my kids being very picky about what they eat. They are sometimes too choosy about the gravies they have with their rotis too. I dont like to force them to eat nor do I like to run around behind them to stuff their mouth when they are busy playing. I am not a mamma who would force or stuff into my kids mouth and ask them to gulp it down. I dont remember forcing them even at restaurants or outings.


I feel they will eat what they want and when they want. Instead of forcing and complaining I like to follow their own style but with a little trick here and there. I like them to sit and eat on their own making them wait for their special surprise which walks in at the end. Sugar chapathis are a special treat for my kids which helps them eat their dinner. It is an addition but not the main. I tell them that if they finish their whole bowl of curry with the first chapathi then I will treat them with one special sugar chapathi, believe me dinner job gets over in no time. Also I get to see happy faces at the dinner table 
Serves... 2 kids
Serve option... Hot

This is what u'll need....

Wheat flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 tbspn
Oil or ghee for frying
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Combine water, flour and salt to make a very soft dough. Let it rest for 15 mins
  • Heat a pan/tawa. I use iron skillet for best tasting rotis and parathas
  • Take  little dough - say size of a lemon, to make a small chapathi. Roll out the dough to flatten it like a disc, use a little dry flour to help from sticking. Place a tbspn of sugar in the middle and pull all corners together to make it look like a kachori. 

  • Put the sealed side facing down and gently roll out the dough to make it like a chapathi
  • Once rolled out place in on the hot tawa and add a few drops of ghee on top
  • Flip it over and cook for a few more seconds. Add a few drops of ghee on this side too

  • A few sugar crystals will caramalize and make the chapathi look and taste yummier. Serve hot and enjoy watching your kids happily enjoying their meal


Note:
  • You can use oil or ghee for frying. I prefer ghee as it is a must for growing kids. It also enhances the taste
  • Dont use too much sugar 

3 comments:

  1. That's great. A small suggestion, instead of sugar, if you add jaggery from palm it adds to the nutritional value also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Tyagu. Will sure try it with jaggery.. suggestion accepted. I hope they will like that version too and yes to the nutritional value. Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Anjana3/12/13

    Made this and yes the kids loved it. Nice tip. I should say i too liked it. It is very simple but i never thought of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails