Smile

Aug 23, 2016

Coconut macaroons.... quick and easy to make

Coconut macaroons are my favourite and this recipe had been on my wish list for a very long time. The ones I tried are soft and chewy and tasty too. Last week we had a family get-together at a resort with the best of buddies. Lot of fun with all our friends. After spending a whole wonderful day at a resort also we could not get enough of talking and giggling ;) so one of our friend's insisted we could stay all spend the night at their place. After some yummy dinner we all sat down to chat. Had hours of chatting and playing antakshari we decided to go to bed at around 2:00 in the morning. My friend showed me a book called "Cakes and Bakes". Even at 2:00 in the morning I could not say no to the book. I just flipped across a few pages and caught a glimpse of some recipes that I had to try my hands on. My friend lent out that book for me to try out the recipe as she knows how much I love trying out new recipes

One of the recipes from that wonderful book is this coconut macaroon recipe. It turned out great taste-wise but I could not get that perfect photographic style macaroon. It was so easy to put together and bake that I was happy I made it. It doesnt have that golden colored edges cos I did not have the star nozzle piping bag to get the perfect shape :) But well this recipe is sure a keepsie



Serves... makes 20 small cookies
Serve option... Room Temp

This is what u'll need...

Egg whites - 1 large / 2 small
Powdered sugar - 3-4 tbspn
All-purpose flour - 2 tbspn
Coconut flakes / dessicated coconut - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1/8 tspn (optional)
Salt - a pinch

Here is the stir....

    • Crack the egg(s) and get the egg whites into a wide bowl. You can use 1 large egg or 2 small eggs. If using 2 egg whites then you will have to add a little more dessicated coconut

    • Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites 
    • Using a electric hand blender start whipping the egg whites on low speed
    • Gradually increase the speed. The mixture will start turning frothy
    • After a few more minutes you will see that the egg whites start to get stiff. Continue the process for a few more seconds
    • Keep whisking till stiff peaks start to form
    • Add sugar to the egg whites - 1 tablespoon at a time in short sprinkles. Whisk till the sugar gets blended completely
    • Continue till all the sugar is being used up
    • Keep whisking till you can feel that the mixture is shiny and glossy and very smooth when rubbed between your fingers
    • Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the mixture
    • Time to add dessicated coconut. Add about a cup of dessicated coconut to the mixture and fold it in very gently. Make sure you use your gentle hands here as you dont want to break the stiffness
    • Add 1/8 tspn of baking powder 
    • If the mixture is very liquidy(depending upon the egg whites), add a little more dessicated coconut

    • Pour this into a zip lock bag or piping bag with star nozzle
    • If using a ziplock bag, cut the edge and use it like piping bag to pipe little mounds on a baking tray


    • Bake this at 200 degrees for about 8-10 minutes
    • Remove from oven and let it come to room temperature and then you can store it in a ziplock bag
    • Serve as a snack and enjoy


    Note:
    • Adjust sugar to suit your taste. I felt this was perfect for us
    • You will have to adjust coconut amount based on the size of egg-whites used
    • Let it cool completely before storing 
    • I omitted adding flour and it still came out good. I used only 1 egg white though

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails