Smile

Feb 5, 2013

Spicy Crispy Baby Potatoes


Potatoes are yummy and baby potatoes are yummier than them. If you havent tried it ever then I would suggest you definitely try it and am sure you will fall in love with these babies. I remember my childhood days when my mom used to make these for us and how we used to fight for our shares. My mom always used to make it in a big batch and share it out equally for all of us but at the end we would be fighting again asking for moms share. Gone are those beautiful old days.

These potatoes tend to taste a little different from the regular sized ones. I think they have an extra something - some tangy or tingy taste that draws itself closer to our heart. When I made this for my hubby for the first time, I remember I got only 7 potatoes(babies) left for me when I sat down with my dinner plate. He did not even realize how he had gobbled  down so many of them in a few mins. After that I have always taken the safer side - slide away a portion of the dish for myself hidden in the kitchen and unveil the secret only when I sit down with my rotis... :) Come on now, dont stare at me like that making me feel I am a thief in my own kitchen. After all its my favorite too.

Now when we are 2 more in our beautiful world of love there is more wants for this dish. My kids are crazy about these. The moment they see these packets at the vegetable store they would make sure they take it themselves to the billing counter.

Whenever I make this, its like the fastest eater is the best at place here ;)

Serves... 2-3 ppl
Serve option... Hot with rotis

This is what u'll need....

Baby Potatoes -250 gm
Jeera/Cumin - 1 tspn
Cumin powder - 1 tspn
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn
Red Chilli powder - 1 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Wash the potatoes clean and transfer them to a pressure cooker. Sprinkle some salt and pressure them till it blows one whistle. Then turn down the heat to low flame and let it sit for 2-3 mins. These potatoes are very  tender so they will not take long to cook. So make sure you dont overcook them
  • Wait till the pressure goes down and leave the cooker open to let it cool. Once cool enough, it is time to sit down and start peeling. This might look like a big process but nope it is not, the peels slide off like super-easy so you dont have to work long on it
  • Some people like to eat baby potatoes with the peel on and some dont. Dont  worry - the peels are so tender that you wont even feel them go down. Also I feel that the peel has an extra bite to it. For us my elder kiddo says no to peel so to make the job easy I peel the bigger babies and leave the smaller ones untouched
  • Once peeled they are ready to be fried. Heat a kadhai/non-stick pan and pour in 2 tbspns oil. When it gets hot, shake in some cumin seeds
  • As cumin starts to crackle toss in the potatoes. Time to add all the dry powders - salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and cumin powder

  • Give the potatoes a good heavy toss so that all the spices are evenly coated. Leave the pan on medium flame and let the potatoes turn golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside. Toss it around once in a while
  • When the potatoes are golden brown on all sides transfer them to a serving bowl
  • Serve with hot chapathis and enjoy your meal

Note:
  • Dont overcook the potatoes or they will lose their bite and flavor
  • Add salt when boiling the potatoes to let some saltiness seep in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails