Smile

Aug 9, 2009

Somasi

Somasis are my favorite. I dont even remember how many can I eat at a time. My hubbys side relative sent me a big bunch of them when I was expecting my little one. She sent a really big bag. But believe me they were all gone in a weeks time. My mil kept on telling me to eat less but it was just too yummy to resist. I dont make them often tho thinking of the number I might eat ;)
.

Serves... makes 10 pieces
Serve option... Can be stored for more than a week

This is what u'll need....

Maida - 1 cup
Sooji - 1 tbspn
Sugar - 2 tbspn
Cashews - 5-7 nos
Pottukadali / Chutney dal - 1 tbspn
Poppy seeds - 1 tbspn
Grated coconut - 2 tbspn
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Oil - 2 tbspn + for frying
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Mix maida, salt, one tbspn sooji, oil and water to form a stiff yet pliable dough. Keep it aside and let it rest for 15-20 mins
  • In a pan dry roast cashews, potu kadalai and poppy seeds. Roast it on low flame and keep it side to cool
  • Transfer the roasted ingredients into a blender jar 
  • Once cooled grind into a coarse powder
  • Grind coconut into fine powder 
  • Roast it till it becomes dry 
  • Mix the nuts powder, coconut, cardamom and sugar and keep it ready
  • Make small and very thin pooris out of the dough
  • Put a little filling in the center and fold the poori into half. Use a fork to seal the borders. Can use a little water in corners to help seal tight

  • Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the dumplings
  • Fry till golden brown and drain on a paper towel before storing them

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails