Smile

Jun 27, 2015

Gongura Chutney

I love gongura chutney but never got to try it at home. I first had it at my friends place when I was in hyderabad. Its sour and spicy and tastes perfect with hot rice. This time I chanced upon some fresh gongura leaves right out of my kitchen garden. The leaves were so fresh and tempting that I had to give it a try making some chutney

Asked a friend for a quick recipe and she shared this. She said there are many ways that its made and she follows this simple one when making for her family.  Well... loved it and what much to say. Whenever I have fresh leaves from my garden this chutney is getting to be a must. Thanks to my garden :)




Serves... 2 ppl
Serve option... Mixed witth hot rice

This is what u'll need...

Jeera/Cumin seeeds - 1/2 tspn
Red chillies - 1
Garlic clove - 1
Tamarind - very small piece 
Gongura leaves - 2 handfuls
Oil - 1 tspn
Salt to taste

For tadka ->
Oil - 1 tspn
Red chillies - 1
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tspn
Broken Urad dal - 1/4 tspn
Salt to taste

Here is the stir.... 

  • Heat oil in a pan and add jeera/cumin seeds to it. Fry it till starts sizzling
  • Add broken red chilli and peeled garlic clove. Saute it in the oil for a few seconds
  • Wash gongura leaves and add it to the pan. Stir it around for a few seconds and it will start wilting
  • I added a little tamarind. Very little ... just to elevate the gonguras sour taste
  • Keep sauteing for a few more seconds until all the leaves are completely wilted and everything comes together
  • Lei it cool a little. Transfer it to a blender jar. Add a little salt and grind it fine
  • Transfer it to a serving bowl
  • To a tadka pan add a teaspoon of oil. Once hot enough add mustard seeds, broken urad dal and broken red chilli to the oil. Pour this on the chutney
  • Serve it with hot rice and enjoy



                                  Note:
                                  • Using tamarind is optional but I like the taste. Just a hint of it tasted great
                                  • Tadka at the end is not necessary but my friend suggested it adds up to the taste and yes it did
                                  • Adjust spiciness to suit your taste

                                  No comments:

                                  Post a Comment

                                  Related Posts with Thumbnails