Smile

Jan 9, 2013

Simple mixture... the simple homemade style

Mixture is my dad's favorite and now my in-laws favourite too. It is a must for Diwali and my mom never fails to make it. She is perfect and she is the best cook I know in whatever she cooks. I have followed or atleast tried to follow my moms footsteps when it comes to cooking certain food

This mixture is such an addiction that I had to make it too in my kitchen. Evr since I have had a kitchen of my own, I have been making this every Diwali. It tastes great with a subtle touch of spice unlike the store bought ones which I feel like are loaded with too much stuff. Keeping it simple and tasty is the mantra here


Serves... Makes a big batch
Serve option... Can be stored for weeks

This is what u'll need....

Ompodi or Sev - 5 cups - Recipe here 
Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Cornflakes - 1/2 cup
Poha / Aval - 1 cup
Pori / Puffed rice - 1 cup
Curry leaves - 12-15 nos
Cashews - 10-12 nos
Cornflakes - 1/2 cup
Pottukadalai / Chutney dal - 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tspn
Kara boondi - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....

    • Make Sev or Ompodi as per recipe here
    • Heat oil in a deep and curved pan
    • Put cornflakes in a strainer and lower it into the oil. Fry it on medium flame 

    • Drain it on paper towels. I used newspaper for this
    • Do the same with Peanuts, Poha/Aval, Curry leaves, Cashews and pottu kadalai

    • Roast Pori / Puffed rice on low flame in a separate pan
    • In a separate small pan add little oil. Add finely chopped green chillies to it and fry till brown and crisp
    • Put everything except ompodi and boondi into a large box with lid. Sprinkle some salt and red chilli powder on it. Shake it around so that the spices are evenly coated
    • Add the ompodi to the box and give another shake
    • Serve your guests and enjoy

                      Note:
                      • Use little oil for frying and top it up if needed
                      • Adjust salt and chilli powder to suit your taste
                      • Adding green chillies add up to the taste. Its ok to skip if kids want to enjoy the mixture

                      No comments:

                      Post a Comment

                      Related Posts with Thumbnails