Smile

Oct 18, 2016

Veg Momos..... my favourite


Momos are my favourite and given a chance I would love to eat it every time I can catch a glance of it. Soft, steamed, piping hot momos served with spicy red sauce is a wonderful snack to attack. My family is not a big fan of momos but still I dont give up making it for myself. I can make myself a big batch every time and enjoy it more than once

Vegetables cooked and spiced a little, then stuffed to make cute dumplings followed by a quick steaming session is what it takes to make this perfect snack. I follow this simple recipe here and enjoy every time I feel like



  
Serves... 4 ppl
Serve option... Hot with red sauce

This is what u'll need...

For dough ->
Maida / All-purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Water
Salt to taste

For filling ->
Shredded cabbage - 1/2 cup
Grated carrot - 1/4 cup
Grated onion - 1/4 cup
Shredded / finely chopped capsicum - 2 tbspn
Grated ginger - 1 tbspn
Grated garlic - 1 tbspn
Vinegar - 1 tspn
Soya sauce - 1 tbspn
Oil - 1 tbspn
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....

  • Measure maida or all-purpose flour into a wide bowl
  • Add salt to taste. I used about half a teaspoon or maybe a little less. I just eyeballed it
  • Pour a teaspoon of oil into the flour. I have used sunflower oil 
  • Start adding water little by little while working your fingers into the flour
  • Pull everything together and make a soft dough
  • Keep this aside for about 15-20 minutes or probably till you filling is ready
  • Keep all your ingredients for filling ready
  • Take a wide nonstick pan and add a tablespoon of oil to it. To this add a tablespoon of grated ginger and grated garlic
  • Saute it for a few seconds till the you can smell the aroma
  • Add shredded / grated onion into the pan. Saute for a few  seconds
  • Add grated capsicum. In fact it is better to used finely chopped capsicum but I am too lazy to do that. So I end up grating it :)
  • Next add grated carrots and toss it around for a few just a while
  • Add shredded cabbage and mix it around for just a few seconds 
  • Add salt and pepper to taste

  • Spoon in a teaspoon of vinegar and a tablespoon of soya sauce into the pan

  • Give everything a quick mix and turn off the flame. Keep this aside and let it cool
  • Once everything is ready we can start making the momos
  • Knead the dough for a few seconds then pinch out a small amount 
  • Place this on your worksurface and dust it with a little flour
  • Roll it out into a thin (not very thin) roti 
  • Place a tablespoon of mixture into the middle of the circle
  • Start pulling the edges of the circle together and hold it towards the centre so that it looks like a frill
  • Once you reach the end pinch the edge together tightly yet gently
  • Keep making the rest of the momos in the same way
  • To steam the momos I use my rice cooker as I find it easy to handle. Pour water into the rice cooker and let it start boiling 
  • Place the momos in the steamer basket 
  • Steam it for about 12-15 minutes. It depends on the size of the momos. I make mine a little big so it takes around 15 minutes. They are done when the momos look transparent
  • Serve hot with spicy red sauce and enjoy



                                                                        Note:
                                                                        • Rest the dough atleast 15 minutes. It help you roll it out easily
                                                                        • You might not cook the vegetables too much. Cook less if you want
                                                                        • Adjust soya sauce as per your taste

                                                                        No comments:

                                                                        Post a Comment

                                                                        Related Posts with Thumbnails