Smile

Nov 7, 2013

Simple Chicken Gravy...

My mom makes the best food in the world... and I know that is what we all say. I love to say this too as I am a big fan of this special cook in my life. My mom, my guide, my friend and so many my's to add up. I have learnt a lot from my moms kitchen and still keep learning. There is no stopping me from calling her in everyday life for simple questions and too many questions sometimes for recipes and instructions. There have been many a days when I dodge her questions with my pan sitting right on the stove waiting for me to add atleast a dash of tadka. 


As I said I love everything that my mom cooks..so here is one simple chicken gravy which I have always cherished from my childhood. Its just simple and hearty that it serves a perfect Sunday meal for us. This time during my visit to theirs I picked up my camera to click the way she turns things up and Voila!!!!!! Not to lose the recipe again I made sure to post it up here where it will stay in safe :) 

Serves... 5-6 ppl 
Serve option... Hot with rice or rotis

This is what u'll need....

Chicken - 500 gms
Onion - 1 big
Tomato - 2 medium
Garlic - 1 pod
Coconut paste - 4 tbspn
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn
Coriander powder - 1 tspn
Cumin powder - 1 tspn
Chilli powder - 1 tspn
Sambar powder - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Oil - 3 tbspn
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let it start sizzling before we go ahead with the other stuff
  • Chunk up onion and stash it in the mixer. Break the garlic into cloves and stash them in too. No need to peel the garlic they would just blend in. Give everything a quick pulse to break it down unevenly but not very fine
  • Add the onion and garlic mixture to the pan and give it one simple stir. Believe me just dont sweat it :)
  • Grind the tomatoes to a coarse texture. Just on short pulse should be enough here.  Toss it into the pan along with the onion mixture

  • Now its time for all  the ground spices. Get them all into the pan - turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and sambar powder
  • Cook this mixture for a few minutes stirring occasionally so it doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan
  • Add freshly ground coconut paste and stir 
  • Wash and clean the chicken thorughly. Add it to the pan and season it with salt
  • Stir it all together to make sure the spices and other mixture is coated evenly on the chicken pieces
  • Add a tablespoon of thick curd and let it all cook together. Keep it covered for a while to get the cooking done faster. It also keeps the chicken soft
  • Keep stirring occasionally to mix  things and avoid burning
  • When oil starts separating from the gravy it is time to turn off the stove. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves

  • Serve hot with rice or chapathis and you are sure to enjoy
Note:
  • Let everything cook on low to medium heat. This helps bring out the flavors
  • Adding curd makes the chicken tender and soft
  • Adjust spices to suit your taste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails