Smile

Sep 3, 2013

Spaghetti in Almond sauce ... a healthy alternative to the regular white sauce

My kids hate to eat nuts especially almonds. These nuts are so good for health but I think my kids are too young to understand the benefits of it when I try to explain it to them. I try to use almonds in dishes that are well entertained at home. In goes a spoon in chapathi dough, cupcakes, dosa and what not. Now I found this way too 

My kids love pasta and this was a wonderful opportunity to add a little or I should more almonds to their diet through this recipe. They were a little skeptical about the colour as it was different ... not red and not white either.... which is usually what we eat. They tasted it and loved it. I am also happy that I can give them the benefits of almonds through their favourite dish



Serves... 3 ppl
Serve option... Hot

This is what u'll need....

Cooked Spaghette - as needed (I used 1 medium bowl)
Almonds - 10 or little less
Whole wheat Flour - 1 tbspn
Milk - 1 cup
Butter - 1 tbspn
Garlic powder - 1/2 tspn
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Here is the stir....
  • Add 10 almonds to a mixie jar. I wanted a nutty flavour so have used almonds with skin
  • For a little texture I made sure to grind  it coarse and not very fine
  • Heat butter in a pan
  • Add in the coarsely ground almonds
  • Saute for a few seconds
  • Sprinkle some garlic powder or use freshly chopped garlic. If using freshly chopped garlic then add it first thing to the butter ... before adding the nuts
  • Cook for a minute on low flame. Add a tablespoon of whole wheat flour

  • Mix it around and again cook on low flame
  • Pour in a full cup of milk
  • Keep the flame very low and whisk it all the way till the mixture turns thick. Keep stirring continuously to avoid any lumps
  • Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste
  • Toss in the cooked spaghetti
  • Stir everything around and let it sit for about a minute 
  • Transfer it to a serving bowl
  • Serve hot and enjoy with your kids

                                              Note:
                                              • We are fine using almonds with skin. But if you find it too nutty then you can blanch them and add it to the dish
                                              • Cook everything on low flame to avoid burning 

                                              No comments:

                                              Post a Comment

                                              Related Posts with Thumbnails